lundi, mars 12, 2007

The cloud of uncertainty

It was a solemn day at work today (and when I say that I mean I only called S a slut like 5 times total). Because today, 6 people got laid off in my agency.

I started interning there during the summer of 2005(!), right after I graduated. It was at the old venue — the dirty filthy basement of a former winery in the now financial distinct. But, it was bustling with very sharp creative minds and cool individuals. I was surprised that it was actually nice to work in the advertising industry. There wasn’t much cutthroat bitch/back-stabbing going on, much to my dismay, however I loved it and stayed on to freelance and eventually became full time July last year.

Lotsa people had left the place and I don’t know why. Maybe I am not so skillful at eavesdropping or socializing the upper management. Perhaps yes, business was lost here and there, but we were doing great work and once in a while we gain new ventures.

Until last Friday, there was about high 40+ people. Three accounts peeps left just a couple weeks ago. And today, 6 bite the dust, one CD resigned.

The irony is that we are actually hiring. My manager who whispered all these sad news into my ears too early this black Monday morning said they are just firing the wrong people and hiring the right people. And I thought, just like me sorting out my closet every now and then – goodbye old tee shirt, hello new jacket!

However it is hard not to be shaken by these news. The people who got laid off came from all levels of professions. Essentially, our whole interactive department has vanished, except for some multi-taskers (phew!) and really really cannot-do-without-one people.

My immediate respond was: “I’m scared.” And my manager just shot me a quick reassuring-yet-still-pissed-off glance and said: “You’re fine.”

He was upset because one of the ‘victims’ were working close to him and I. I caught the bug real quick and insisted that we need to get out for lunch asap. The topic never surfaced during our lunch with some other creatives. But he wasn’t very chatty.

In my own little world, I felt it was unjust. I mean some people who got the axe and some who got to stay. Damnit! If only next time they will at least do a survey amongst everybody. Then I could tell them that some bitch should be fired long ago and the gentleman should be given a second chance.

Actually there is so little people left that I don’t think I wanna fire anyone.

Le sigh…

1 commentaire:

FT a dit…

Good to hear that you are safe and sound. Business is business. It is very unjust. But what can you do. Until that day when we are the ones pulling the triggers, we'll just have to stick it out one day at a time~