jeudi, octobre 16, 2008

marc jacobs by me

Okay. I admit that I didn't try very hard, but I really had no clue why so many people admired and worshipped Marc Jacobs as a fashion superman.

I have long heard of his *big* name but it's not only until I saw a photo spread of his Paris apartment on the W magazine (read whole coverage here) that I got fascinated by this peculiar man.
Marc Jacob's chilling in his study (photo via W magazine).

Well, since then I only got impressed by his zany taste in art and home decor ways but I still didn't run out to the nearest MJ boutique and buy his wares. I always though they were overpriced for what they are and the current paycheck I'm receiving doesn't allow me experiment with overpriced anything.

So a few nights ago I was browsing through the free movies section on my on-demand cable tv system. If my memory didn't fail me, I saw amongst a list of movies on the Sundance channel, a documentary named "Marc Jacobs & Louis Vuitton".

I thought "Sure, why not?" I just needed some eye-candy for the night. 72 mins. Well, I could turn it off if it bores me.

I would guess this exclusive insight to MJ's daily work schedule and environment was filmed about 2 years ago when he was still sporting a head full of long stringy hair and oversized plastic glasses. He was (and still is) heading the house of Louis Vuitton, his self-titled labels—Marc Jacobs + (cheaper)Marc by Marc Jacobs and some other guerilla-style labels. He was/is a busy man.

As a wannabe artist and designer, I watched and is extremely fascinated with the fashion industry on a whole. Just like what I feel when I'm watching the very successful reality show—Project Runway. Basically this documentary reveals a lot of scenes whereby you would think MJ is on Project Runway but with a whole team of sidekicks and smashing seamstresses ready to make his visions come through.

We get to see some censored scenes of brainstorming sessions where he sits with all these people to pick ideas, colors, buttons, fabrics and anything. I see people agreeing to whatever he says and I wonder is that how it really works? But then again, he is afterall the creative director. He is the one who brought LV and himself multi-million dollar success. He is Marc Jacobs.
Marc Jacob in a skirt and his gigantic hermes' birkin (2008) He looks pretty good I would have to say.

My favourite scene would be when he divulge his health secrets by showing us the numerous vitamins and supplements he takes daily, apparently. He drinks mangosteen juice in a shot. Mangosteen? Where do you find it in the USA? I had to smuggle one in my luggage from home just to prove to my colleagues that I ain't making shit up.

So after the documentary ended, I felt like I have to find out more. I need to know first of all: Why? Why is the whole world begging to own something with his name sewn on the back?

For all I know, I would have thought of Micheal Jackson instead of him when I see those initials M.J.

So I asked a poshy friend who is a fan and got to know that the "Stam bag" is one of his signature items. Cute, but I'm still not convinced. Then I thought about Danielle as I know she's covered (almost) head-to-toe in his designs. But I still haven't got to talk to her much as she's super busy.

Then I remembered I was pretty in love with MJ's signature perfume last X'mas but never took the plunge (hint hint).

But guess what I found!
Marc Jacobs Rana (which means frog in Spanish) bag.

Vicki Beckhams in a MJ ad featuring the Rana bag.
The Rana bag in neon PINK.

So I guess I'm a little swayed towards the MJ camp for now. IF ANYONE OF YOU SEE ANY OF THESE PRECIOUS FROG BAG(on sale) PLEASE LET ME KNOW. They're a little hard to find as I'm totally backdated in the fashion trends (and sorry for yelling).

Oh well. I digress.

You all know that it's the economic crisis now. We have to stop, or rather, I have to stop all my impossible, irrational shopping urges. Even if I lock myself at home, online shopping still calls upon me. ARGH.

Have I felt the effects of the crisis? Yes. How? My agency has been laying people off. Today the toll was 8. The total? I think I lost track.

Aucun commentaire: