samedi, octobre 11, 2008

what a saturday

I got back to my apartment and I found myself whistling and humming as I prepare for a 5 PM dinner. I actually caught myself in a good mood, totally off guard!

Today was one of those wacky-weather days. It was just 90+ degrees in Fahrenheit yesterday afternoon. I entered my car and felt that it has been slowly cooking under the hot desert sun. I though to myself: Yay! Bits of summer still haven’t left. Then today. I woke up feeling chilly. The familiar unoccupied sides of the bed were unpleasantly cold. It was so comfy that I had to get up and for the first time, change the setting from air-condition to heater. Yes. And I dreaded this very moment.

I hurriedly put on my cargo pants and long sleeve tee, made something to eat and dashed out. I reached the Summerlin Community Park just 8 minutes late. I saw the SPCA van already parked next to the booths and speed-walk as fast as I could, while fighting to put on an extra jacket, towards the people in the ‘too-bright-for-a-Saturday-morning” florescent green tees.

Today I was assigned to handle Tigger, a 7-years-old black+ white male rat terrier. As usual the dogs that luckily got to get out of the animal shelter are always too excited and can’t be bothered to even greet the handlers for the day. Well, at least in my past 3 experiences. Immediately, Tigger took ME for a walk around the whole compound, sniffing and discovering every inch of the grounds. Within the first 15 minutes, he had peed and boy-oh-boy, someone had a huge dinner last night!

Tigger & I "making out" in my car on a cold rainy afternoon.

My task as the volunteer and Tigger’s handler is to let Tigger meet and greet as many people and dogs as he can, answer any questions potential adoptive parents have about him, relate his behaviors and temperament and most importantly, ensure Tigger and I have a great time.

I have met Tigger as at previous event but I was handling another dog—Jake, a handsome 2-years-old male Australian Cattle dog. Jake is a medium-sized dog, about ¾ of my size and basically was dragged me all over the place. My hands were a little roughen from holding onto his thick leash for 4½ hours. Today, sweet-tempered Jake was also present and I am happy to announce that he was adopted (!!!!!) within the first few hours of the event.
Jake—sitting like a gentleman

So this time Tigger, being a rat terrier, is definitely much easier to deal with. Plus, he has absolutely zero temper at all and is always so sweet and friendly, but not too friendly. In fact, some people think he is too aloof because he is not one who will just park himself on your lap and fall asleep. Besides being too distracted to concentrate on one particular human being or dog, he never barked or whined throughout the whole day (and he didn’t the last time I saw him too). He basically just does his own dog thing and chill.

So it began to rain on top of the icy winds and missing sunshine. Tigger started to shiver and I managed to score the last doggy sweater for him. Unfortunately, it was pink. Fortunately, it was a snazzy dazzling bright neon pink sweater that’s hard to miss. If I could I would scribble ADOPT ME right on his back and he would be “flying off the shelves”. At one point, it was so freaking cold (like 10 degrees celsius) that I eventually brought Tigger into my car to hide. He had no problems jumping into the back seat. Then I thought, Ok, I’m hungry. So I proceed to eat my egg sandwich but I made sure I faced the other direction in order not to torture him. But who am I bluffing? Of course he can smell it. So when we came out from hiding, I had to get some biscuits for him. You should have seen the way he took the biscuit out of my hands. Gentle. I wish some men would behave like that.

Throughout the day we met several prospective adoptive parents. And I never never act like the over-zealous underage sales assistant who hovers and barges into your personal space with a “you-better-buy-it-now-while-I-stare-you-down” attitude. Because unlike clothes, returning an incompatible dog after a few days does no one good.

Finally, as we were preparing to close for the day, the lady with her sweet 9 year-old came back with their 2 current dogs to see if they would get along with Tigger. And hallelujah! Her dogs are easy-going and very charming. Although Tigger didn’t immediately worship them, I see they did their initial acknowledgment (sniff sniff) and “approved” one another. And from now on, all we need is to give them some time alone to properly fall in love.

(Everybody together) Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

And so, Tigger going back to a warm loving home tonight instead of the shelter made me whistle and hum. I could’ve done a chicken dance if I haven’t been so worn out by the extensive walks with Tigger. And PLEASE my friends, next time you get a pet, make sure you’ve done the right research, thought through the lifelong commitment (yours and his/her life), make all proper arrangements and please, please, please, don’t buy from a puppy mill. Go to your local SPCA or animal rescue and do the right thing ☺

Woof!
Astro (aka yoda)— the first dog I handled at my first volunteer event who subsequently got adopted couple days later. yeah~ bad hair day.

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

am totally petrified of dogs but i have to say... Astro is one cutie that i wont mind spending time with :)