dimanche, juin 15, 2008

The chronicles of MaLing

Upon reading JW’s glorifying entry about MaLing—the recently-banned canned Luncheon meat in SG, I decided to seek it out in LV and try it for myself.

Yes, I don’t recall eating any MaLing at all living in SG. I only know I had some unidentified luncheon meat from Zi-Char stores. So it’s a good time now to find out if I find the taste familiar.

One thing I am concerned is, the label indicates the MaLing I’m going to buy is Made in Canada! Which instantly means to me that I’m going to experience a slightly different version. But, Thank God! I don’t think I want to eat unfamiliar meat from China. Because maybe even God doesn’t know what’s in it.

My first obstacle came about when I have to open the can. OK. I have a can opener but this can isn’t round. I found a somewhat clue on the bottom. It’s a tool looking thing that seems to be the key to opening the can. 

I might be having a bimbo-moment, but in my defense, I rarely eat canned food in SG or here, I've never been a scout, so I really don’t know. I tried to be innovative and think of ways how this key will help, but I kinda broke it. In the end I opened the sides with my unadventurous can-opener and the rest is well, let’s just say I used primitive ways.

Opening it my way resulted in a rather nasty blow to the manicured meat. Should I still eat it? But I don’t want to waste my 2.49USD and I could smell the salt-iness already! So I proceeded to dump the whole chunk out and cut 2 slices. And OF COURSE, I have to fry it. Is there any other way to eat luncheon meat?

Since I’m feeling grouchy and lazy from my monthly lady’s situation, I re-use the same oil that I used to fry up some prawn Keropok I got from Bali just right before this (I realise I haven't blog about Bali).

And since LV is devilish hot right now, I better cling-wrap the rest and put it in the fridge for later consumption (if any).

The result is 2 nicely fried slices of luncheon meat. You can be publicly envious of me now.

But the question is… …would I eat MaLing again?

I think I will decide once I devoured this little plate. In the meantime, I have another burning question.

Doesn't the beloved MaLing can look great when recycled as a pen holder?

Muahahaha!

7 commentaires:

Gingerbreadman a dit…

damn, i want my maling. Brings back childhood memories.

You don't know how to use the key?? I remember it was fun using the key to open the can...

Anonyme a dit…

To use the key, you need to locate a tab at the waist of the can where you insert it into the eye of the key.

Thereafter, rotate the key and uncoiling the tab away from the can as it makes it way a full circle around the can.

Lift the entire can up and your MaLing awaits.

Speaking of which... Made in Canada!!?? It's a fake!!!!

Anonyme a dit…

the normal maling no look like that!

you got cheated!!

cakie

Anonyme a dit…

hey.. maling is suppose to have a orange label instead... not this version... and... luncheon meat where got deep dry one.. suppose to pan fry.. too much oil!!!

Anonyme a dit…

fwaaahhh....iWantMALing also!!! try the MALing steamed and have it with fried eggs and bread for breakkiee.... quite nice le

CoW g0eS Mo0 m0o~! a dit…

heeeee...jiejie, next time i make video + foto on how to open such cans let u see ba.

agrasshopper a dit…

Then I think I need to find the real MaLing.... (sounds like I'm locating a missing person)

PLUS

moomoo, please make video for me so next time no one look me down.