mercredi, juin 25, 2008

The Fall



The movie poster is a little too dali-esque for my taste. However, it has been one of the best movies I ever saw.

It started with a mindless conversation with the big boss, then my intern (thank god for his existence!) start to rally some of us for the movie tonight. I probably didn't mention that I stay right across the street from a huge movie theatre. It seems real convenient right? But tonight? Tonight is only my second movie night ever since I've moved to Sin city.

Back to movie. 

Set in a LA hospital circa 1912, it captures the intimate development of a curious friendship between an actor who fell and broke his legs and a chubby, charming + cute girl, who also fell and broke her left arm (hence the title).
So out of boredom, the little girl look upon the actor for some invaluable entertainment through his fictitious epic stories, brought to (more than)life by the amazing director. He is also the same inspiring person behind the movie 'The Cell', if some of you are old enough to remember.

Most of the time I felt like I was the little girl with my awkward left arm cast, sitting on his crummy squeaky bed, anticipating every word that coming out of the actor's mouth. 
This international quest for love and revenge will take you through more than a dozen countries, beautifully captured in their essence. There's mainly 5 heroes and soon you'll discover more of them yourself as the movie lives. Like in many movies, the plot thickens and dark clouds gather. Yes, like many other movies, but this time I like it. Whenever a movie starts in a hospital, you kinda already know it's going to sway that way. 


Once of my fav scenes in the movie
In the end, it's..... oh well, I almost gave it away. Let's say, it's a very touching and aggravating ending with the resolution of the actor's personal struggle with mortality. Arrrggh! I loved it. Plus the actor looked so hot in eyeliner :p

Okay, I'm tired. gotta go dream of the Taj Mahal now.

5 commentaires:

About a dit…

this sounds (looks) very good! wonder if we can get at least the dvd in sg?

Ruok a dit…

I gotta go watch this!

FT a dit…
Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.
FT a dit…

I heard good things about this movie as well, thus I did not read your spoilers. I am going to check it out in this tiny theater near my place. (Oh, and that poster is the only thing stopping me from doing so already)

agrasshopper a dit…

soon lee + ruok= I really hope they will play this movie in singapore! at least limited showing in the new artsy cinema in dhoby gaut (that's what I heard about the new cinema, maybe I'm wrong). Or I can always bring it back for you if you can't find it!

ft=i think the poster is a little disappointing, especially since the movie is so beautiful. Even the international one is kinda blah too. I would consider getting the poster if it looked a little cooler. sigh~ nothing is perfect.